Friday, December 6, 2013

Pops’ Ireland Travel Guide, Kong





You younger readers may not have heard of “The Quiet Man” but I hope you know who John Wayne is. The Quiet Man is a movie directed by the famous John Ford who made a lot of movies with John Wayne. John Ford wanted to make a movie that celebrated his Irish heritage. So he assembled an all-star cast of the day including John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara, Barry Fitzgerald and Ward Bond. Next he scoured Ireland for just the right location and found the perfect place in Kong.

I have driven around Ireland many times and on one trip I wanted to see the location for the movie. I had a hard time finding it and actually got lost and ended up in an area of Ireland where they still speak Gaelic. Next time I’m using a navigation system. Even though we got lost we saw some incredible landscapes and things way off the beaten track. It doesn’t bother me to get lost, it’s part of the adventure. Once we got there we found it was well worth the trip.

The Quiet Man was made released in 1952 and the town looks like it hasn’t changed at all. There are still the same pubs, the river, and the ruins of a church. The only thing I can saw that had changed is I found a bench with a memorial from John Ford in a nice quiet corner of town facing the river that thanks the wonderful people of Kong for their friendliness and making them feel at home during the shooting of the movie.

Also, if you can find it is the bridge in the beginning of the movie where John Wayne first sees the place where he was born. It has been dedicated the John Wayne Bridge. It is outside the town and we just stumbled upon it.

A side note: This is why I like to rent a car and drive on my trips. Trains and buses go from here to there. I like to play it more by ear and take side trips when I want. You’ll be amazed how much you see and what you may have missed if you were traveling any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment