Monday, December 30, 2013

Pops’ Costa Rica Travel Guide, Occidental Grand, Papagayo Gulf




On my last trip to Costa Rica I decided to try an all-inclusive resort in the Papagayo Gulf. The Papagayo Gulf is in the Northwest corner of Costa Rica along the Pacific Coast and not far from the Nicaragua border. The gulf is home to many resorts including Hilton, Occidental Grand and a Four Seasons. I also heard that Michael Jordon has a house on the mouth of the gulf.



For this stay I picked the Occidental Grand. This resort is an all-inclusive with access to a nice beach along the gulf. They have a buffet style restaurant for all meals and also Italian, Japanese and Mexican restaurants where they take reservations for dinner. There is a disco and bars throughout the property. The lobby bar and the pool bar were my favorites. Before I arrived I read that the drinks were watered down but I didn’t find that the case. The pool area is very nice and they have planned activities throughout the day. If you like wildlife then you won’t be disappointed. I saw birds, monkeys and something that looked like a raccoon but a lot larger. On the beach there is non-powered watercraft to use. They also have a very nice spa if you want to take advantage of that but the price is extra.
 

The resort is vast and spread out over the hills. I don’t mind walking but if you don’t want to walk they have shuttles that will take you anywhere in the resort. The staff there is all very friendly and will do anything to please you if possible. That was the biggest plus of the resort.

 
You can book a shopping trip to Coco Beach or take day trips to Arenal Volcano and other destinations.  

 
 

All in all I had a very nice time. I spent most days at the pool and beach and most days and nights at the bar. I would give it four out of five stars. My only complaints were trivial. The room was beautiful, clean and large with a view of the ocean. It had a refrigerator that they stocked with two beers only. When you finished them they would replenish them with the required two beers. Even though they have plenty of bars to get drinks it is a trek to the bar and with the rooms so nice and the view it would have been nice to not have to go to the bar every time you want a drink. The other complaint is when you check in they try to upsell you into a better package. The first few days was spent telling the person no.
Other than that I would recommend staying there again.




No comments:

Post a Comment