Saturday, November 2, 2013

Random Thoughts of China



Random Thoughts of China

·         On my many trips to China I have fallen in love with China, the people, the cities, the beautiful landscape and history.

·         I never went anywhere in China that I didn’t feel safe. With that said my rule when traveling is to always be aware of your surroundings. Bad things can happen anywhere even at home.

·         The Chinese love anything western. You see it in clothing, entertainment, etc.
 


 

·         My first December in China I was amazed at the Christmas decorations everywhere. From Santa Claus to gingerbread houses the hotels, shops and streets were decorated. It’s not the religious aspect but the commercial.

·         I have had food that I thought I would never see from Jellyfish to Duck tongue to chicken feet to oxtail.

·         I have rode on the one of the fastest trains in the world (Maglev) and many high speed trains. The Chinese are doing it right. With the resources of the United States I don’t know why we can’t do it here. It has got to be politics.

·         Even with the language barrier Chinese people are some of the friendliest I have met. On numerous occasions I had parents wanting me to speak with their children so they could practice the English they were learning in school.

·         China is so big you are not going to see it all in one trip.

·         I had one of the cheapest restaurant meals I have ever had in Zhuhai and one of the most expensive meals ever at the Morton’s in Macau. It was just a short walk across the border. Both were worth it though.

·         If you want to learn more about China and travel watch Travelogue on the CCTV (English version) if you get it on your television. They travel to many interesting places in China and do it in a fun way.
 

 

·         In my opinion KCF is the most popular fast food restaurant in China.

·         If you are booking a hotel sight unseen I would suggest an international chain to prevent surprises. I stayed at an Accor Hotel in Zhangjiajie and was very pleasantly surprised. I would highly recommend this chain.

·         ATM’s will take your card. Traveler’s Checks are not accepted everywhere but can be cashed at the larger banks. If you bring cash beware. Because of counterfeiting they only accept US currency if it is in perfect condition. Even a crease may cause it to be rejected.

·         Speaking of counterfeiting, when receiving change some of it may be counterfeit. I don’t know how to tell you to prevent it. Just be aware of it.

·         Print off everything you need in English and Chinese (Hotel, attractions, restaurants, etc). Most taxi drivers don’t speak English and this may be the only way to get to where you are going. When you check into your hotel ask for a card.
 

 

·         Be very careful crossing a street. Crosswalks and lights are only a suggestion. Some cars will not stop. On some occasions crossing a multi-lane street meant running from line to line with cars zipping by you on either side. I called it human frogger.

·         Don’t be afraid to explore the non-tourist areas of a city. I stumbled into a back alley outside eating place with only locals. I sat at a table I shared with a few older gentlemen and had a meal of vegetables and meat on the bone all cooked at our table which was that white plastic backyard furniture you see here. They showed me that I had to eat the meat off the bone and then there were straws to suck the bone marrow out of the bone. We drank some alcohol that I brought some home but still don’t know what it is. I didn’t understand a word they said and they didn’t understand me but I had a great time.  I only know enough Chinese to get in trouble; hello, how are you and I am fine. I also learned gombei which means cheers.

·         KTV stands for Karaoke TV.  They are all over the cities and are like the karaoke bars you see at home. The big difference is that these are karaoke bars on steroids. You can sit in the main area or rent a private room for parties. The rooms range in size and have a great sound system, monitor and sofas. You also get your own hostess that will serve food and drinks and help with running the karaoke machine. Try it out it is a blast.

·       In Zhuhai I ate sugar cane where they stripped the outside off with a machete. You chew on the inside and suck out the sugar. They will also press it and make sugar cane juice for you.

·         The fruit in China and Southeast Asia is the best I have ever had.

·         Remember to buy your train tickets online and in advance. Sometimes you can buy them at your hotel.

·         Have Fun!!

 

Feel free to contact me if you want more details.


No comments:

Post a Comment