Friday, November 8, 2013

How About a Weekend Trip to Oslo?



How About a Weekend Trip to Oslo?

There is one catch. You must already be in Copenhagen.

On one of my trips to visit our family in Denmark my son and I investigated different excursions. What we found looked very interesting. We could take a ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo. At first glance just taking a ferry ride of 16 hours doesn’t look that pleasing. What I discovered was this would be 40 hours of non-stop fun.

DFDS Seaways has 2 ferries providing service between Copenhagen and Oslo. Both ferries leave both ports at 5pm every night, cross each other on the voyage, and arrive at the other port at 9am the next day. You can book all levels of cabins so you can have a place to sleep or you can stay up all night and party all the way there. Onboard there are restaurants, bars and nightclubs. There is also duty free shopping, a movie theatre and a small pool. My son and I booked a small cabin. This really could be called a small cruise ship.

As the ship left Copenhagen we sat outside and enjoyed the view as we started our journey north. As the sun set and it became dark we went inside and had dinner. After dinner we went to one of the many nightclubs for a while and then separated as he wanted to go off on his own. I took in a movie had a few more drinks and then took advantage of the cabin and its beds. My son took the party route but still ended up in the cabin for some sleep.



 

The next morning was amazing as when we went outside we were in the fjord leading up to Oslo. What an amazing site that was with the Norway forests on both side and little islands dotted here and there. We arrived in Oslo at 9am and had the entire day to explore the city.

This is on my list of must do things in Scandinavia. Check out their site for more information.


My next post will be what we did in Oslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment