Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pops' Kingdom of Crystal Travel Guide



I have another short trip from Copenhagen to Sweden that I would like to share. On one of my visits with my relatives in Denmark I was staying with my cousin in Copenhagen and decided it was time to go on a road trip. My cousin gave me a look like I was crazy. That’s when I found out the Danes really are not into driving long distances. The time I drove from Lolland to Copenhagen and my relatives packed me a lunch so I could break up the 1.5 hour drive finally made sense.


 
 
The Kingdom of Crystal is in a very beautiful area of Sweden north of Malmo in the mountains. From Copenhagen it took me about 3 hours. This was in December and I was lucky that the weather was nice and the roads were clear. The roads are multi-lane and in great condition. Your drive will take you from the flatter land of southern Sweden to the mountains and the forests of Sweden. The drive is beautiful by itself.


 

Once you get there you can grab a map of the area. To me it was like wine tasting in Napa Valley with crystal factories replacing the wineries. There are about 16 glass factories in the area with the more notable ones being Orrefors Glasbruk, with the adjacent National School of Glass and Kosta Glasbruk, which is the basis for the Kosta Boda company. Each one of the glassworks has distinctive design traditions, character and atmosphere. You can also get traditional Swedish food and some of the factories will cook food on the ovens used to melt the glass. Each factory will have its own shop and you can find great deals on the same crystal you would find back home. They will also ship your purchase home for you so you don’t have to worry about getting it home.

I had planned on making this a day trip but I had so much fun that I decided to find a place to stay for the night. I was glad I did because the next day I drove over to the Baltic Sea and drove down the coast on my way back to Copenhagen.

This is one of my must see things to do in Scandinavia. The landscape is beautiful, roads are in great condition, the crystal factories all have their specialties and the people are very friendly. If you want to get a taste of Sweden go to the Kingdom of Crystal.
I would be glad to share more information. Just contact Pops.


No comments:

Post a Comment