Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Travel China by Train - Shanghai Extra



In my last post I had traveled to Shanghai by train from Guangzhou. I have also flown to Shanghai directly from San Francisco. I wanted to tell you about something special. The airport is outside the city and about a 45 min drive. Another option is to take the Maglev.

What is a Maglev you ask? Well it’s a train without traditional tracks. A Maglev floats and is propelled by a magnetic field. Because there are no wheels and traditional tracks the ride is very smooth. There are only a few in the world and one is in Shanghai. The only other one I know of is in Japan but goes nowhere near as fast as this.

The train was built by a joint venture of Siemens and ThyssenKrupp in Kassel. The track (guideway) was built by local Chinese companies. The Maglev set a Chinese speed record at 311 mph. The operating speed is 268 mph.

When I rode the Maglev, the 45 min taxi ride was cut to a little over 7 min. The Maglev gets to its top speed about halfway to Shanghai and then immediately starts slowing down gradually.

Due to the cost I don’t see many more of these being built. So, if you fly into Shanghai make sure to take the Maglev into the city. It will be an experience of a lifetime and one that you will not get anywhere else in the world.

For information on how to take the Maglev please contact me. My website is www.popsipedia.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment