Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Travel China by Train - Hangzhou



On one of my trips to China I wanted to visit Hangzhou. I flew into Shanghai Airport and took the Maglev into Shanghai City. That is the trip I took to Shanghai where I stay at the highest hotel of that time, The Grand Hyatt. I stayed there a couple nights before departing for Hangzhou. There is high speed rail between Shanghai and Hangzhou so the trip took a little over an hour with one stop on the way. One thing I remember of the short ride was that a mother asked me if I could talk to her daughter who was about 8 years old. See wanted her daughter to practice the English she was learning in school. I was happy to do so. In my travels in China I have found the Chinese very friendly and am curious about anything in the western world. I have been asked many times by parents to talk to their children.  In Zhangjiajie Park I was even asked if people could take their picture with me as I stood out.
 

 

Hangzhou has many attractions, from the Silk Market to West Lake to the Pagodas to Longjing Tea. I had wanted to see as much of China as I could and Hangzhou was on the list. Hangzhou is in the Yangtze River Delta and because of this has been a very prosperous city. What I found was a very tranquil and slower pace than I had seen in other parts of China. If you really want to relax then go to West Lake or the area where they produce Longjing Tea. It was a welcome change of pace. I have a lot of pictures to show you how beautiful the area is.

Where to stay:

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Grand Canal. It is centrally located and within walking distance to the Silk Market and restaurants. I like staying at an internationally known hotel as you usually will not get surprises.

Attractions:




West Lake is a very serene, peaceful, historical area of Hangzhou. I took a small boat ride out on the lake which took me to the causeway and iconic views of the lake. The back of the one yuan bill depicts a scene from West Lake.


 
From the lake you can see different pagodas. You can’t help but feel relaxed as you glide across the lake. I would highly recommend it.


 
 
The Liuhe Pagoda or Six Harmonies Pagoda is alongside the shore of West Lake. The original pagoda was built in 1165. It is a historical site built on the site of the original pagoda that collapsed in the 1920’s. They built a newer pagoda there with each floor showing the history of the site and Hangzhou. In the basement you can see what remains of the original pagoda.
 

 

There are other pagodas in the area like the Baochu Pagoda that are the originals and you can climb to the top floor.  Take the time to visit them also.





 
 
Longjing translates to Dragon Well. A short taxi ride outside the city and in the mountains is the area where they grow and produce Longjing Tea. This area is a must see. Foreign dignitaries like the Queen of England have been there to sample the tea. When I was there I was able to drink from the Dragon Well and view the process of making the tea. Don’t expect to see giant factories producing a massive amount of tea. What I saw was the tea being produced in individual houses by one person. The tea is roasted before it dries and therefore is not like other teas. This tea can be very expensive but it is worth it. I paid $50 USA for a few ounces. It is the best tea I have ever had. Before you buy they will be happy to let you sample as much as you want. Take the taxi ride up there. It is worth the trip.

Shopping:



The Silk Market is an area in Hangzhou with many shops dedicated to silk products. It is a pedestrian street of many blocks. If you are staying at the Crowne Plaza it is about a block away to the right as you walk out the main entrance. If you want to take home silk products then this is the place to go.

Getting around:

Depending on where you stay the Silk Market may be within walking distance. West Lake and the pagodas will be a taxi ride. To get to the Longjing area it is definitely a taxi ride. Taxis are easy to acquire.
Please contact me with any question. My website is www.popsipedia.com , drop me an email.



No comments:

Post a Comment