Thursday, October 10, 2013

Penang Malaysia




THERE is no denying that Penang is living up to its billing as Yahoo!’s “Top 10 islands in the world you must see before you die”.

Treat yourself to Malaysia's unique fusion of cultures and flavors. Start your food crawl at stalls that crowd the streets of Georgetown, Penang's largest city and Malaysia's food capital. The delectable fare on offer memorably mingles Malaysian, Chinese, Indian, and European flavors. Foodies in search of supreme bliss should head to the marketplace Ayer Itam—adjacent to Kek Lok Si (the Temple of Supreme Bliss)—to dine on a variety of dishes based on rice, noodles, fish, shellfish, chicken, pork, vegetables, eggs, and coconut. Look for lor bak (deep-fried marinated minced pork served with a chili sauce); lok-lok (skewered seafood, meats, and vegetables); and ikan bakar (grilled or barbecued fish marinated in spices and coconut milk, wrapped inside banana leaves, and grilled over hot coals). The same fusion of cultures is evident in the local architecture, which ranges from modern high-rises to buildings built by 19th-century British colonialists. Add to the mix beach resorts, preserved mangroves, small fishing villages, and a share of temples, mosques, and churches. Kek Lok Si best exemplifies this coexistence. At seven stories, it's the largest Buddhist temple in Southeast Asia, and it reflects the shared values of Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism—designed with a Chinese octagonal base, a Thai-accented middle tier, and a Burmese-style peak.

I have been traveling to Penang, Malaysia for 16 years having first been sent there for work for a 1 month stint. I went there with a team of people and was delegated the driver as I was the only one brave enough to drive on the other side of the road. After that trip I will not go without renting a car and driving myself, although getting around by taxi is certainly an option. It also prepared me for driving in other countries such as Ireland and England. 

I had no idea what to expect but it didn’t take me long to fall in love with Malaysia and all that it has to offer. Malaysia is a multi-cultural country; Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian. Everyone lives in harmony. The world has a lot to learn from what I saw in Malaysia. The biggest benefit of so many cultures is that there is always a festival or holiday. I have been there during Ramadan, Diwali, Chinese New Year, and Christmas. The people are friendly and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The food is incredible, especially the seafood. With so many cultures you can have just about kind or food you can imagine. I have been to a traditional Muslim restaurant where I ate with my hand, Chinese, Thai, Indian, and even German, Brazilian BBQ and American. If you go to the malls you can find a Chili’s and TGIF if you want but I would recommend the local food. I even found an old chain that went out of business in my home town, Sacramento, Victoria Station.

If you are into history as I am you won’t be disappointed. The English have a strong presence here. Penang was half way between India and China and that is how the many cultures made it to the island. You will see temples, masques and churches. Some of my favorites are Kek Lok Si temple (I bought a tile for the new pagoda being built), the Snake Temple and the Reclining Buddha (largest in Southeast Asia). There is also Fort Cornwallis, The WWII Museum, Penang Hill and the E&O Hotel (Eastern & Oriental). You will see the British influence in the architecture; homes, the turf club and hotels.

Other sites are the Botanical Gardens where you will see monkey gangs, Ferringhi Beach with the night market, Georgetown, and the Penang Bridge.   

Go to Penang once and I’ll guarantee you will fall in love with Malaysia as I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment