Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Travel China by Train - Part 6, The Journey Home



It was time to begin my journey home. The train from Xi’an to Guangzhou is about 18 hours so it would be more than just an overnight trip. To get ready I went to a market and purchased snacks, drinks and fruit to have on the train. In the early evening I went to the station.

At the time China was restricting travel to Tibet for foreigners and the train originated in Lhasa, Tibet. Also, there was extra security on the train because it originated in Tibet. In my soft sleeper car I think most of the people were soldiers. I ended up with a 4 bed compartment to myself. Most likely, I was the only westerner on the train as just after boarding I received a knock on my door. When I opened the door there was a little girl of about 10 years old. All she said was, “People want to know where you are from”. When I said America she just smiled and walked away.  She might have been the only other English speaking person on the train.

Once I was settled in I had some of my snacks and fruit and went to sleep. The motion of the train and the sound of the tracks made it easy for me to sleep. The next day I still had 6 hours to Guangzhou so I was able to enjoy the countryside and cities along the way. I made it to Guangzhou in the early afternoon and caught the rail to Zhuhai. After checking into the Holiday Inn and taking a walk around the area it was time to have dinner, and get ready for the flight home the next day.

Getting to the Hong Kong Airport is almost the opposite of getting to the mainland I described in part one. There could be a few exceptions depending on when your flight leaves. If your flight schedule permits, you can take a direct ferry from Zhuhai to the airport. The terminal at the airport has counters to check in for your flight. It is very easy. If your schedule does not fit the direct ferry then you will have to backtrack the way you came. You catch the ferry to Hong Kong and then take a taxi to the rail station to take you to the airport. Before you board the train you can check into your flight there or wait until you get to the airport. Both are very easy also.

Once at the airport there are 2 main terminals. Make sure you are in the right one. After going through security you should have time to relax, grab something to eat and maybe get some last minute shopping in.

Have a great flight home!

Please contact me with any question. My website is www.popsipedia.com , drop me an email.

Next up, other trips I took by train in China.


No comments:

Post a Comment