Monday, September 18, 2017

Lolland, Denmark




My family lives on Lolland, an island in Denmark about an hour and a half from Copenhagen and accessible by E47. If you continue from Lolland on E47 you will take a ferry to Puttgarden, Germany. The ferry ride is about 45 minutes. I had been hearing that a bridge was in the works to connect Lolland and Germany but on this trip I learned that it is going to be a tunnel and work is ready to begin. Once the tunnel is complete it will be an easy route to get from Norway and Sweden through Denmark and to mainland Europe.

Lolland itself is a small island with mainly farm land with the sugar beet crop being the largest. There is a sugar processing plant in nearby Falster. The area is very slow paced with small cities and towns. Some of the best beaches are located in Lolland and Falster. Merielyst Strand and the beach at Lollandia are some of the best in Denmark. Where before there were shipyards for building ferries now those same yards are building the wind mills you see scattered throughout the countryside in Europe.

I love to get out of the big city, Copenhagen, and make the beautiful short drive to Lolland. Lolland is like going back in time where the pace is slower and the countryside reminds you of a day gone past. Especially during the sugar beet harvest season when the cars can get stuck behind a slow moving tractor pulling a wagon full of beets.

One of my favorite places to visit is Nysted, new town, and it's harbor. The massive Aalholm Castle (Aalholm Slot ), built ca. 1200, dominates the view from the harbor at Nysted. For over 1,000 years this stronghold has tried to protected the town's citizens. It is one of the oldest, preserved Middle Ages fortresses in Denmark. If I were to retire in Denmark my dream would be to live in one of the houses facing the harbor. In the harbor there is a monument from WWII for an American bomber that was shot down killing all on board.






My grandfather was born not far from Nysted in Herritslev and the house is still standing. I have some family in Nysted and Herritslev but the bulk are in the Holeby/Maribo area. I love visiting my relatives and having dinner. This time I took my cousin Sandy and Don and we had a huge dinner with as many relatives as we could get together. To me these family trips are the best part of the trip.

Lolland and Falster are not tourist destinations but there is still a lot to see from beautiful castles and manors to some of the best beaches in Denmark. If you have the time and want to relax I would definitely recommend see the area.  






No comments:

Post a Comment