Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pops' Travel Guide, The Eagles Nest





There is something magical about Bavaria. To me the towns all give me a feeling of being brisk, clean and like you are in a faerie tale. When I say brisk I mean it is like a cool autumn day where the wind hits your face that is clear and refreshing. The rivers also have a different look. They have a look of light green jade most likely from containing minerals washed down from the Alps. That's the best that I can describe it.








I have been in the Bavarian Alps before and have seen Neuschwanstien Castle so I wanted to see something else. The Eagles Nest is in Berchtesgaden near the Austrian border in the Alps. The town of Berchtesgaden in itself would have been worth the trip. The town has a river running through it and in the center of the town you get the feel that you are back in time. On another trip I wouldn't mind staying there instead of a larger city.

The Eagles Nest is a house given to Adolf Hitler for his 50th birthday back in 1938. It is perched high above the town of Berchtesgaden at an elevation of 6017 feet. Berchtesgaden sits at 2300 feet. My only regret was the day we were there it was cloudy and we didn't get to see the amazing views.

To get to the Eagles Nest you need to drive to the parking area slightly up the mountain. From there you can buy a ticket for the Eagles Next and a bus ride up the mountain. Taking the bus is the only way up there as the road is very narrow and there is no way to pass. From the drop off point for the bus there are two ways to the house. You can hike up to the house or you can walk through a tunnel inside the mountain which is 300 meters long. At the end of the tunnel is an elevator which will take you up 300 meters to the inside of the house.





My advice would be to book a guided tour in advance. If you go on your own you will be limited to what you can see. Inside the house is a restaurant and we had a great lunch there with some local beer. After lunch we explored the area outside the house and took some pictures. I'll need to come back on a clear day to see what I missed.









No comments:

Post a Comment