Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pops' Travel Guide, Austrian Shakedown


Warning: This is a warning to anyone traveling into Austria by car.

While in Munich with my son and a friend we decided to take a side trip to Berchtesgaden, Germany and the Eagle Nest. Being that we were already in Germany and we were traveling to another city in Germany it didn't occur to me that we would be in Austria at all. Austria has a little known law, at least unknown to me, that requires you to have a toll road sticker in your windshield. When entering Austria you can buy one at the border but again I don't remember seeing any signs at the border stating so. A 10 day sticker cost Euro 8.50 and if I had known this I would certainly have paid the Euro 8.50. Remember I didn't even know that I would be in Austria at all.

We crossed into Austria and made the exit for Berchtesgaden where we came across a police checkpoint. We were pulled over and were fined Euro 140.00 for not having a sticker. I tried to explain that we didn't know we would be in Austria to no avail.  After paying the fine we drove for only a few km and we were back in Germany!

Ignorance of the law is not a defense but I still feel like this was a shakedown. I am writing this as a warning to others.

Here is the link to the Austrian Driving Regulations. Take note that it says you also need an "International Drivers License".

Austrian Driving Regulations

No comments:

Post a Comment