Monday, September 22, 2014

Pops' Travel Guide, Father Son EuroTrip





I just got back from a father/son trip to Europe. The primary purpose of the trip was to go to the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, visit our Italian relatives and to visit our Danish relatives. My son Kevin is 24 and a long time friend of Kevin, Ryan also came. Those were the only plans we had. The rest could be winged.






For those of you that know me I'm not the type to spend a vacation sitting on the beach everyday. I like to explore and keep moving. With that in mind, when Kevin suggested that on our first day in Italy, before we went to the home town (Bardino Nuovo), we should go to Monaco for a few drinks I said why not. We landed in Milan at 10:30 am and after picking up the rental car we proceeded to drive three and a half hours to Monaco.  This was Ryan's first trip outside on the US and so taking him to as many places as possible was a challenge I had to accept. But since we had to be at our relatives for dinner we wouldn't have much time. We ended up walking around the harbor and then finding an outdoor cafe where we could enjoy the view and have a few drinks. We even made it to the relatives a little early.




I love visiting our relatives in Italy. Every time I see them they really make you feel welcome. There are two Bardino's on the Italian Riviera (Bardino Nuovo and Bardino Vechio), (old and new). Both are very old and very small with incredible views of the Mediterranean Sea and Italian Riviera. We sat around and caught up on news from the family and had an incredible dinner. No store bought pasta there. After the main course they brought out a platter of cheese. I have never had cheese like the cheese you get in Italy. Everything is so fresh. In particular the Gorgonzola was so fresh that it dripped and Ryan asked if it had been heated up. It hadn't and was delicious. Now for one of my favorite parts of the meal. My cousin Roberto makes his own Grappa. He brought out a 2 liter bottle and we started drinking. There is no way we could finish it but we tried. 





We only get over there about every other year. I wish we could get there more often.  The first day included the flight from San Francisco to Milan, driving three and a half hours to Monaco and an hour drive back to Bardino. I was tired but it was well worth it.  For my relatives that have never been to Italy to see the relatives you really need to go.

First day in Europe; layover in Switzerland, Italy, short drive through France, and Monaco. 

Tomorrow Italian Grand Prix qualifying at Monza.

No comments:

Post a Comment