Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pops' Wine Country Travel Guide, Napa and Sonoma County





I have been wine tasting in California for almost forty years now. One of my favorite trips, and a memorable one because I still take my parents every year, is a trip to Napa and Sonoma Counties. 

From Sacramento this is an easy trip in some of the most beautiful countryside in California. Whenever I go to the wine country in Napa and Sonoma it is like you are leaving the US behind and going to Europe. Be prepared to let your stress melt away. One caveat is that I do this on a weekday in the fall and the crowds are smaller. The spring or fall is the best time to visit the bay area as the temperature is the mildest. In the spring everything is starting to bloom and in the fall you will see the crushing season.  This will be a full day but it won't feel like it as every winery will have something different to offer.  

The route I take can be done in an easy day. I will include a few wineries as options but the wineries can be changed based on your preferences. I’ll start the trip in Sonoma. From Sacramento I take interstate 80 to Hwy 12 just west of Fairfield. It is also easy to get to Sonoma from the bay area. Hwy 12 will take you to Sonoma and the Sonoma wine country. We usually stop in Sonoma for a cup of coffee before we continue. Heading north on Hwy 12 you will enter the wine country. You will pass towns such as Aqua Caliente (Hot Water) or (Hot Springs) where there are numerous spas with mud baths and hot springs; and the town of Kenwood.



The first winery I stop at is Kenwood. They have a nice selection of red and white wines, I like the reds. What I like about Kenwood is that, except for the reserve wines, you are not limited to what they are pouring that day. Try the Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel wines. The tasting is free of charge as of my last visit.

The next winery is close to Kenwood and also on the right side of the road. Chateau St. Jean is a beautiful winery with a nice garden in front. It kind of reminds me of being in France. They used to have a self-guided tour but had to stop due to the Americans with Disabilities Act and they couldn't modify the tour to allow for wheelchair access. However, go straight to the tasting room and try the wine. Chateau St Jean charges for tasting, as most wineries do now, and will have a menu with their pouring options for the day. They have a nice Chardonnay and Cabernet. You can’t go wrong with whatever they are pouring.

After Chateau St Jean it will still be early and you will continue north on Hwy 12 up to Santa Rosa. There you can cut over to Napa Valley by taking the Calistoga Road. It’s a short ride and you will pass the Petrified Forest. I have never stopped there. Now that you are in Napa Valley you will head south on Hwy 128. It’ll probably be around noon. Here is the hard part. You are going to have too many options and I don’t have the room to list all the wineries here. You’ll have to decide ahead of time which ones you want to go to. I would pick two and have lunch in between the two wineries. Driving south on Hwy 128 you will drive through towns like Calistoga, Oakville and St. Helena.

One winery I have been to is Grgich Hills. Grgich Hills was started by Mike Grgich and Austin Hills of Hills Brothers Coffee. Mike Grgich was the wine maker at Chateau Montelena when it took first place in the Paris wine tasting in 1973 with their Chardonnay. I like their white wines and my favorites are the Chardonnay and Fume Blanc.

Now it is time for lunch and you will have many options. You can go to one of the many restaurants, and they are all incredible, or buy some cheese, salami, bread, fruit, etc and have a picnic at one of the wineries.



At the end of the trip you will be around Napa. I would suggest a sparkling wine. Two of my favorites are Domaine Chandon (I have already written about Domaine Chandon) and Domaine Carneros. At the end it’ll be around 4pm and you have had a full yet relaxing day.

Note: My father passed away a few weeks after our last wine trip in October but the tradition will continue with my mom.


Next up, things to do, places to stay and places to eat in Sonoma and Napa.

No comments:

Post a Comment