Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pops’ California Travel Guide, Upcoming Events



There are two events coming up in Northern California that I wanted to talk about. One will definitely happen and the other will depend on nature. Both of these tend to happen around the same time.




Mavericks is a big wave surfing contest that is invitation only to the best surfers in the world. The reason that it may not happen is that the conditions have to be perfect. If the conditions aren't perfect the event will not happen for that year. This year it is scheduled to happen the weekend of January 24 – 26. Currently the surfers have been notified and are all on alert. We won’t know until it gets closer to the weekend. If you are in the area and the event happens then I would recommend going. You can watch from the shore. I have heard they are predicting 50 foot waves. Mavericks is in Northern California by Half Moon Bay.




Also coming up is the AT&T Pro Am in Carmel. This is a celebrity studded golf tournament that was started by Bing Crosby and was billed as the Crosby Clambake. The event happens in February every year and this year it is the week of Feb 3 – 9. The reason I know the events happen around the same time of year as Maverick’s is that one of the world’s best surfers is Kelly Slater. He likes to play in the AT&T and has missed Mavericks because of that. Last year I attended the pro-am for two days. The first day I focused on the celebrities and the second day the pros. The tournament is played over three courses with everyone playing each of the three courses. My strategy was to check out the program to find where most of the big name celebrities would be playing. I then camped out at a green for the day and watched them all play through. That way I was able to see a number of actors and sports heroes of mine. Your best chance of getting up close is to pick one of the courses other than Pebble Beach on either Wednesday or Thursday. The next day I wanted to see Pebble Beach so I went there to watch the pros. I wouldn't camp out at a particular hole. I would see as much of Pebble Beach as you can.  If you haven’t been to Pebble Beach you have to go. Take the 17 Mile Drive. It is some of the most beautiful coastline you will ever see.




By the way, right now the temperature is in the seventies here in Northern California. If that’s not an incentive to get over here I don’t know what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment