Friday, December 12, 2014

Pops' Travel Guide, IL Gioiello Winery and Morse Wines



I would like to tell you about a new find in the California Foothill Winery Region. On Thanksgiving my son brought over a bottle of Montepulciano - Il Gioiello - 2010 that he had picked up the week before on a wine trip to the Amador County foothill wineries. I have been drinking Montepulciano wines from Italy for years and would put this up against any of those. 

The following week I had planed on picking up my wine club shipments from 3 other wineries in the area so I decided to also go to  Il Gioiello. I usually stay in the area around Shenandoah and Steiner Roads and not the Fiddletown area so I was seeing something new. If you are driving from Plymouth like I was, you would stay straight instead of turning left on Shenandoah Road and on the other end of Fiddletown you will see signs directing you to the winery. 

For those of you not familiar with the area the foothill region is just east of Sacramento less than an hour away. The area spans El Dorado, Amador and just recently Placer counties. It is less crowded than Napa/Sonoma with excellent wines and great scenery. Most wineries have no charge for tasting which you won't find in Napa/Sonoma.

After tasting their wines I joined their wine club which is a testament in itself. I prefer red wines, mostly Italian style, and was impressed with both the red and white varietals. 

If you are in the Sacramento area for the many events that happen there throughout the year why not plan a day to visit the many wineries in the region. If you are in the region I would recommend checking out Il Gioiello  . 

I took this from their website to tell you about their winery. 

Robert Morse, the founder of MORSE WINES, purchased the estate property in 1999.  His desire was to create a place where lovers of fine wine could find exceptional values in wines that best express the terroir of our region. He selected varietals that would thrive in the region, and which therefore had the best potential for producing world class wines.

Our picturesque, serene property is located near the border of Amador and El Dorado Counties.  It is at approximately a 2300 foot elevation, with groves of pine trees as well as ancient oaks.   





No comments:

Post a Comment